Thursday 2 April 2009

First week or so in Oz











































































































































bush fires














Well hello everyone. I am glad to see that we have four followers to our blog, especially my mum with a photo of her in 60s fancy dress. Good choice. Anyway, we arrived in Melbourne to a warm and yet unpredictable climate. We were staying in a lovely apartment in an area 5 minutes out of the city centre, called St Kilda. It would seem that St Kilda is a very ‘cosmopolitan’ place, a polite way of saying that there were lots of dodgy characters there who liked a drink before 9am. After three days we decided that we wanted to move on and so hired a car. We drove the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide (about 650miles) and had about four overnight stops along the way. We stayed in some lovely seaside places and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

We have seen some beautiful sights, such as the Twelve Apostles, waterfalls and completed a tree top walk which was rather scary. In all that driving, we probably only passed about ten cars a day. The roads are empty and the attractions are too. You also don’t get ripped off with having to pay for car parking at every place you can imagine. We went to my favourite wine vineyard, Jacobs Creek, where you could have a free wine tasting of unlimited wine (Paul loved it) and then buy some cheap bottles if you wanted to.

The wildlife is great here, we have seen wild monkeys, koalas, kangaroos and parrots.
I tried to feed the parrots but they got a bit carried away and two jumped onto my shoulders to get to the food. We have stayed in some lovely places, from a 20 pound a night room above a pub to some spacious apartments. No complaints though!

A little story to finish with, Paul and I went to a Wildlife Park where you could feed the kangaroos. All was well until a big kangaroo (about 6 foot when stood on hind legs) blocked my exit through a gate until I gave her food. I gave in, got past and thought that was the end of it. Said kangaroo pursued me and started nudging me for more food. She was getting a bit aggressive so I threw my bag of food to Paul to buy myself some space. She bounced over to him and started nudging him for the food so he tried the old “Shoo, go away, you are not having any” and pointing. Kangaroo then gripped his t-shirt with her front paws, jumped up and kicked him, whilst holding on to him for leverage. There was no where to go so he dropped the food for her and we both ran off laughing. That is until a native told us that they can rip your stomach open with their front claw. Lucky escape then!

We are off to V Festival tomorrow which for the pricely sum of 70 pounds you get to see the Killers, Kaiser Chiefs, Elbow, Razorlight, Snow Patrol and so on. Bargain!!

7 comments:

Claire said...

Oh how funny I know I shouldn't laugh as it could have been dangerous but what the hell lol, poor paul.
Jo you look tired i would get some sleep, other than that the pic's look fab looks a lovely place to be.
All is still well here, nothing really to report I am running once a wk ready for my sponsered run oh and haven't smoked for nearly 4wks gosh i smell good, no yellow fingers here anymore !!
Can't believe miss lush or kimmy arent signed up and where is wally (mark)??

p.s where is my postcard ?

love ya loads x

Unknown said...

Hi, Simon is reponsible for the pic of mum, It was off Fearn to begin with! lol.

Loving the Kangeroo kicked Paul story (sorry Paul).

Sent ya an email

Keep in touch
xx

hollie said...

hello guys are you ok im fine nothing really happening blly is going fine i have eaten some of my eggs i got y hair done and i like it cant wait to see you to show you and fred has hurt his eye but is starting to look better i did a sponsered ride and i raised £65 it went good and billy was fine bit funny with the traller i have been looking for a web site to tell me how i can stop billy from throwing his head up and running of on the lead rain we mit be giving him back we dont no yet i am on my easter holidays and i have been with emma for a little while i will send you an email you latter on got to go
leaving nans
cya soon
love you
hollie xxxxxx
xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi bitches
Love the pic's looks like your really enjoying yourselves
Not sure bout 1st mate and captain,more like master bates and seamen stains!!!!!
Not much to report,had Lady Lucan down for the bank holiday weekend,had a real good time,too much to drink and too much excitement in British Legion!!!!
Hope your both well
Love Mark

P.S Still no bed in Vegas Ha H a
xxxxxxxx

Simon said...

Hi

I have read your blog and must say i found it quite informative. I especially liked the pictures, the one of Paul and the dougnut was good! I also found the fight very funny between the ginger one and the kangaroo....I never knew that kangaroos were gingerist, I suppose it was probably the first time he had ever seen one and it must have scared him....poor thing! Oh yeah, hope your ok Paul!

It's look like your both having a great time and the whitsunday islands look soooooo good!

Lobster looked on the picture that Paul sent me of Adrian....hope you didn't get food poisoning Ade!!!!!

Anyway keep me updated and keep safe, Paul maybe you should stay away from local wildlife!!!

Take care
Simon

Simon said...

Oh yeah forgot to say........Claire is smoking again!

Simon said...

Hi

I have read your blog and must say i found it quite informative. I especially liked the pictures, the one of Paul and the dougnut was good! I also found the fight very funny between the ginger one and the kangaroo....I never knew that kangaroos were gingerist, I suppose it was probably the first time he had ever seen one and it must have scared him....poor thing! Oh yeah, hope your ok Paul!

It's look like your both having a great time and the whitsunday islands look soooooo good!

Lobster looked on the picture that Paul sent me of Adrian....hope you didn't get food poisoning Ade!!!!!

Anyway keep me updated and keep safe, Paul maybe you should stay away from local wildlife!!!

Take care
Simon